Essay Writing Guide: 4 Simple Steps
There are four different kinds of essays which need to be attacked in a similar way, but they do have their differences that will affect the prep work and the actual content of the writing.
Different Essay Types
Research is the most common type of essay. A research article is one in which you have a topic that needs to be studied and then presented in an original way including the writer's analysis of the information.
Persuasive: It is one in which the writer adopts a specific point of view and attempts to convince the audience to agree with their opinion. This is done by providing information, convincing arguments, and the writer's opinion.
An expository essay is similar to a persuasive but instead of including the writer's opinion, it is completely based on stating facts. The facts can be backed up and justified with research.
Narrative: This is an article in which the writer recounts an incident or story. The narrative is a more descriptive and often more personal form of writing. It is often the kind of essay students will complete as their college application. Students can even find tips and advice for narrative from world-trusted sources, such as Forbes.
Getting Started: The Pre-Work
Writing any kind of essay is made so much easier by doing the appropriate legwork and research. Having the base information to help write it will make actually bringing all of the information together much easier.
The first thing the writer needs to do is take an idea and build upon it. This is done by researching the topic, coming up with a stance and asking questions about the topic readers might be interested in too. Consider the following steps:
- Wikipedia is a good place to start with general research. Some educators do not see this as a reliable source, but even so, it can lead students to articles and references that can be used for formal citations.
- Look to see if there are similar essays out there, whether they argue the same point or take the opposing view. It is good to analyze the work of others to experience the effect of the essay from the reader's opinion and adjust accordingly.
- Seek out traditional research methods. While there is a lot of information available online, looking in libraries and using print-based media can provide informative primary sources.
The Writing Process
- The first thing a writer needs to do is generate a thesis or focus for the essay. The thesis should be a narrow statement that the writer will analyze, defend and sometimes give their opinion on. A thesis can't be a question which needs to be answered and can't be written in the first person.
- Planning out an essay includes more than just choosing a topic. Writers should brainstorm their own ideas about the topic, points they want to include and begin to find sources to back up the information they wish to include.
- The essay should be clearly outlined. The introduction and the thesis have to be clear, detailing what it is going to be about. The thesis should specifically be concise and consist of a single sentence in the very first paragraph. The body should be outlined with the points that will be made as well as the list of the ideas that will connect the points to one another.The support for these points will be provided in the writing process. The conclusion should not simply re-state the facts and the points of the body but should tie the entire paper together. This should be done in a few points that can be set out in the outline.
- The paper outline should be viewed as the bone of the essay and the structure that will be followed throughout. Writers can begin with this by simply expanding on the points that were given in the outline. It is important for the writer to fully discuss each point. This should be achieved through analysis, providing a summary of the writer's opinion and describing each point in full, so the audience does not have any lingering questions.
Polishing Your Work
Writers need to check their work after the writing has been completed. Each sentence has to be grammatically correct, and each word should be chosen to convey a specific point. For help with this, use free resources such as Purdue OWL and Grammarly.
Writers need to review the structure of their essay, the information, the support provided for each point, and the relevance of all of the information included. Polishing the work includes editing the content as well as proofreading for errors.
Once this has been done, the best thing to do is to either have the essay sent to a professional proofreading service or to give the essay to a respected family member or friend for ease of comprehension. It does not matter if the reader is interested in the topic or has experience with the level of writing. If they find the work easy to follow, informative, and possibly persuasive, then it is generally well written.
Getting Professional Help
As a busy student, having the time to write an essay doesn't always come easy. To make sure there is no risk of getting a less than perfect grade, students can always use Write My Essay 4 Me.
This affordable essay writing service saves students a great deal of time. The price is always fair, as it is calculated by the academic level, the length of the essay, and the deadline.