- How to Write a Cause and Effect Essay: Tips and 60 Topics to Consider
- What Is a Cause and Effect Essay?
- Examples of Cause and Effect
- How to Write a Cause and Effect Essay?
- Thesis Stament
- Body Paragraphs
- 60 Good Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- Technology Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- Natural Sciences, Animals, and Environment
- Personal Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- Social Sciences, Psychology, and Gender Studies
- Other Fun Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- Extra Tips
- Bottom Line
Everything in this world is interconnected. New toys make kids happy, while stressful situations make them sad. To properly understand the matter of a cause and effect essay, students should pay attention to the way things relate to each other. This article will explain the most crucial details of how to write this essay type. You will learn how to start it, go on with its body and develop a powerful conclusion.
However, if you are looking for a 'cheap write my essay' solution, don't hesitate to contact our academic writing sevice. We are all set to jumpstart your cause-and-effect essay.
What Is a Cause and Effect Essay?
A cause and effect essay is an academic paper concerned with why certain things or events occur and the consequences they bring. This type of essay is also known as a reason-and-result essay.
In such a paper, a writer must pay attention to the primary causes and results. Or, in other words, for causal relationships. The contributory things are not that necessary, but it is possible to include some of them if you are running out of ideas. Primary reasons and outcomes generate the cause and effect directly, unlike secondary ones. How should one choose a topic? Make sure you know the relationship between subjects or events well.
Examples of Cause and Effect
It is impossible to write a cause and effect essay without knowing what cause and effect are. Visualizing things is a powerful method, so we'd like to offer you a couple of examples to review. They will help you better understand the specifics.
- A person is running out of gas, and their auto will not start. They will be late for an important meeting. They will miss a great job offer.
- Mary is good with numbers. She loved studying business in college because of the high salaries in the field. That is why Mary has decided to major in Finance & Accounting at the local business school.
- John likes heavy metal music. He has a good sense of rhythm and wants to play in a band. A local group is currently searching for a drummer. John decided to learn to play drums to join them.
Just keep in mind that consequences are not necessarily adverse or favorable.
How to Write a Cause and Effect Essay?
The way of writing a cause and effect essay does not differ much from another essay type. It has a standard structure to follow. However, if we refer to the way of organizing the ideas, there are three typical methods to do that:
- Multiple causes – single effect
- Single cause – multiple effects
- The domino pattern or a chain reaction
If you decided to write a cause and effect essay, it would be wise to complete an outline first. Just like for any other academic paper. It is your mini-plan that will significantly ease the writing process. Brainstorm, collect the best ideas related to the studied field and use the chosen points to prepare a practical scheme. Check out the example of such an outline:
- Introduction. The statistics about anorexia nervosa
- Thesis. More than 15% of young boys and girls die from the consequences of anorexia nervosa every year in developed regions.
- Body Paragraph I. The causes: advertising, poverty, role modeling
- Body Paragraph II. The effects: loss of appetite, poor health condition, stressful situations
- Body Paragraph III. Potential Changes: education, nutrition, relaxation
- Conclusion. The best way to fight anorexia nervosa is to implement nutritional biology and psychology as a separate subject, change food habits, and have more rest.
People judge books by their covers, and professors like reading papers with powerful opening lines. It is critical to start your cause and effect essay with a hook. Share background information with the target readers.
If you choose to deal with multiple causes and a single outcome, enumerate the reasons for the specific effect:
Suppose you choose a single cause and a multiple effects model. In that case, you should list the effect groups of the reason.
As for the domino model, mention the initial cause in the chain results and the final effect.
After the introduction, it is essential to develop a good thesis statement for your cause and effect essay. The distinctive features of an outstanding thesis are precision, confidence, and forcefulness. You need to be well acquainted with your topic to hit the mark. Condense the causes and results into a single concise sentence and refine these words. An example of a good thesis statement could look this way:
After handling the introduction part of a cause and effect essay, the next question to pop up is how to write the body paragraphs. Do not forget to organize supporting ideas before moving to the paper's main body. It is possible to manage the supporting points in this way:
- Order of significance. Arrange the details from least to most meaningful;
- Chronological. Structure the points in the order of events taking place.
- Categorical. Organize your ideas by dividing the subject into sections or categories.
Write each paragraph according to the outline you prepared before. The best way to make your essay flow is to build logical bridges between the body paragraphs. Transition words and phrases will assist you in crafting a perfectly balanced narration.
Like any other academic paper, the cause and effect essay should have a conclusion. But, it does not have any essay-specific requirements. As usual, the conclusion should start with a topic sentence that restates the thesis statement. Follow it by stating the main points of your essay.
Do not repeat or copy-paste your ideas of the thesis statement. Instead, analyze them and briefly sum them up. In the concluding part, you should bring up your arguments to show their relevance and the main point.
If you still have any questions on how to make an outline for an essay, open one more blog on our platform with detailed information.
60 Good Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Before you decide what topic to choose, make sure that there is enough available information online. Our writing experts have prepared a list of great topics for your cause and effect essay. Check them out!
- Causes and effects of hurricanes
- The relation between the war in Syria and Russia
- Cause and effect essay on living after divorce
- Correlation between alcohol consumption and damaged nervous system
- Growing up without a father
- The way racism appears and spreads
- Cause and effect of Uber on other taxi brands
- Reasons why WWII was irreversible
- Reasons why many women get involved in destructive relationships
- Music and the human brain
Technology Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- Cloning humans: potential consequences
- Cause and effect essay on impacts the technological progress has on kids
- Correlation between the state of nature and technological progress
- Reasons why Japan is more technologically advanced than the rest of the world
- The influence of the Internet on young minds
- Cause and effect essay on using educational applications in class and after school
- Virtual reality and its consequences
- Cause and effect essay on obtaining a Computer Science degree
- The impact of technological evolution on the history of humankind
- The way mobile phones affect the life of an average American student
Natural Sciences, Animals, and Environment
- The effect of an increase in water contamination on marine life
- Factors that affect developing countries
- Several reasons to start conserving rainwater
- Factors leading to the rise of air pollution in the cities
- Cause and effect essay on sea-level rise
- What effects does illegal cutting off trees have?
- Reasons to abandon whale oil
- The tiger and other endangered species: the results of their possible extinction
- Cause and effect essay on wildfires in Australia
- Why are wild beasts migrating in Africa?
Browse different topics for argumentative essay and get new ideas that may interest you.
Personal Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- The way my holidays changed family relations
- Living without brothers or sisters
- Pros & cons of living together before the marriage
- Factors that led to my mental disorder
- Impressions Mexico left on me
- Reasons I help poor people living in the neighborhood
- Things that explain why I value freedom more than anything else
- My experience living in low housing
- The role of my favorite music band in my life
- The way fashion trends influence my image
Social Sciences, Psychology, and Gender Studies
- Causes and effects of alcohol addiction
- Why do people cheat and what effects does cheating have?
- Illegal immigration
- Causes and effects of overpopulation
- What can cause a divorce and what consequences does the process bring?
- The role of a child during the divorce process
- Cause and effect essay on drug abuse
- Reasons and the aftermaths of global warming
- Practices to help opposites find common ground
- Factors that make older women love younger men
Keep in mind that we have different essay topics such as persuasive essay ideas for our users. You can choose or mix some of them into one.
Other Fun Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- Ways to become popular with the help of a single YouTube video
- Silly errors that lead to the laughs of classmates
- Consequences of having a cute pet
- Becoming a video game streamer and further development
- The outcomes of uploading a wrong image to Twitter
- Being overloaded with friends/followers on Facebook
- Get rid of the trash emails and see what happens
- Watching favorite teams playing football and just everyone is online
- Ways to survive without mobile phones 24 hours long
- Consequences of laughing too much
As you write your cause and effect essay, consider these useful tips from our expert writers:
- Keep in mind the primary goal of writing. Decide whether the purpose is to inform or argue with the opposing views.
- Make the essay sound more powerful and persuasive with supporting evidence grabbed from the collected primary sources.
- Identify the specific terms or professional phrases, present facts & statistics. Offer vivid examples (from personal life or sources), tell jokes as you perform in front of your audience.
- Focus on immediate and direct things that lead to something. Limit your writing to causes interrelated with each other.
In the end, do not forget to assess the efficiency of the essay by asking some questions: Which of the causes or outcomes is better to emphasize more? Are there any other causes or effects you may have missed? Is the chain reaction present?
It is clear that the more you study, the more knowledge and skills you gain. Although being academically successful is not the only requirement to become a literate person in general. Communication with other people outside your educational institution and valuable hobbies are also a must to become a prosperous personality.
Technological advancements allowed us to present an effective solution. Without spending much money or time, each modern student may seek professional writing assistance online. Our top-notch writers will help you with your cause and effect essay at any time of the day. Spend more time with your family and friends, and let us take care of your assignments!