- Put Your Best Foot Forward to Start a Compare and Contrast Essay
- Compare and Contrast Essay: A Clear Picture of It
- How to Start a Compare and Contrast Essay: 3 Objectives to Keep in Mind
- 5 Best Ways to Hook the Reader and Make Him/Her Interested in a Subject
- How to Present Subjects You Are Going to Contrast in Your Essay?
- Bottom Line
An assignment to write a compare and contrast essay causes contradictory feelings in most students. On the one hand, it is an interesting task to do. On the other hand, it's more difficult to complete this kind of paper than any other one. When writing a descriptive or a narrative essay, you need to focus on one subject. The main distinctive feature of a compare and contrast essay is that here you need to keep in mind two subjects.
It is impossible to write a good essay without following the outline. How to start this kind of paper to hook your target audience? How to make it really valuable for your readers? Here we're going to answer these questions for you to have a clear picture of how an A-grade contrast essay must look like. A knowledge you will definitely use in future.
Compare and Contrast Essay: A Clear Picture of It
Before you get started, you need to make sure that you understand what a compare and contrast essay is. What is the purpose of writing this kind of paper? The key idea of writing this essay is to find two subjects, which you would like to compare. First, it may seem an easy task to do. But it is not only about differences and similarities. There is one more thing to take into account when you are going to write a compare and contrast essay.
The right choice of the topic is of the utmost importance here. You should conduct careful research before choosing two subjects for comparison. Your paper should be useful for the reader. This means that you need to find those subjects, which have never been compared by others. You can argue with the already existing opinions. The main aim of comparing things is to provide the reader with a new understanding of the role of the compared subjects.
How to Start a Compare and Contrast Essay: 3 Objectives to Keep in Mind
The beginning of any academic paper plays a great role in the overall success. So, you should do your best to start an essay on the right foot. Do you have a lot of ideas and can't choose the best one? Or vice versa you can't understand where to get started? Check effective tips that will help you to make the right decision on how to start your essay.
- Introduce your subjects. Don't plunge into contrasting subjects from the very first lines. Explain to the reader why you have chosen these things. Provide the reader with some background information.
- Write a powerful thesis. Remember that the most important idea of the whole paper should be expressed in the thesis. It is just one sentence or a maximum two sentences, which should be hooking and informative.
- Explain what the key point is. An introduction is a paragraph, where you should include the basic information on the subject. Make it clear for the reader what the main point of your essay is.
The greater the contrast, the greater the potential. Great energy only comes from a correspondingly great tension of opposites.
5 Best Ways to Hook the Reader and Make Him/Her Interested in a Subject
Who has the necessary skills for hooking the reader? Of course, there are advertisers. You should learn from them if you want to present an eye-catching essay. What is the secret of successful advertising? It is able to attract the attention of the target audience convincing that you need this or that good or service. Let's come back to our compare and contrast essay. Everything is as easy as ABC. To hook the reader, you need to show that he/she will benefit from the knowledge you're going to provide him/her with. Here is the list of the hooks that really work. Choose the one you like most.
- Start with a question. Choose the subjects, which can be new for your target audience. If they know little about a certain aspect, they would be interested in it. One of the best ways to hook is to start with a question. Motivate to proceed reading your essay paper.
- Share facts and statistic. People always trust figures. So, find some interesting statistic data or provide the reader with the facts not everyone knows.
- Start with a joke. One of the ways to motivate a person to read your essay is to make him/her smile or even laugh. If you manage to cause positive emotions in your target audience, they will be glad to read the whole essay paper. How to do this? Start with a joke or an anecdote, which refers to your topic.
- Write a quote from a famous person. Your essay paper will sound more solid if you include the quote of the famous personality. People are interested in what respectable people think on the subject.
- Provide solid arguments for your standpoint. You will definitely attract the attention of the reader if you argue the common opinion on the subject. For examples, there are two drugs, which are considered analogs but you will prove that they have more differences than similarities. Be convincing and operate with the well-grounded arguments.
How to Present Subjects You Are Going to Contrast in Your Essay?
After you have chosen the most effective way to hook your reader, move to the next step. You have manager to intrigue the reader and now he/she wants to learn more about the subject. It is high time to share some useful and interesting background information on both subjects. You can tell a story or write about the common misconception about the subjects you've chosen for the comparison. Do your best to be objective and avoid emotions. You shouldn't pay much attention to one subject and ignore another one. Remember that both subjects are valuable for your research.
As has already been mentioned, a thesis is of the utmost importance for your essay paper. It is considered a backbone of the entire essay. It's not easy to write a really high-quality thesis. To succeed in writing a thesis, you need to be guided by the main purpose of your essay. Write one or two sentences at the end of the introduction. Make sure that your thesis is able to provide the reader with an understanding of the reason why you've decided to contrast these things.
Want to write a brilliant compare and contrast essay? Follow the tips above and essay writing process will become much more enjoyable and less time-consuming.
We are sure that you will write a good essay following our tips. No time for writing an essay? Leave it with our experts! It is the most reasonable solution because you've already learned to write this kind of paper!