Essay writing is a common challenge for all students because some types of academic papers require in-depth research and the use of difficult terms. Some tasks are not complicated; a definition essay is a good example of such assignments. Its principal purpose is to define the exact term but you can’t just copy the definition from a dictionary. Use enough words to show your personal opinion, provide some examples from real life, and tell the meaning of the term. In our guide, we will give comprehensive and interesting information about the peculiarities of definition essay writing. You will learn how to write a definition essay, how to pick the topic you love the most and find out how to cope with defining the complex terms. Our simple but useful writing tips will help you complete this task without any troubles. So check it and you won’t face any difficulties with this interesting task.
What is a Definition Essay?
The term “definition essay” explains its meaning by itself; you should provide the audience with the complete definition of the particular word. The length of such writing is about half a page because it is enough to give a comprehensive explanation. And as is the case with a term paper, case study or dissertation, the quality of a definition paper depends on the topic you choose. People don’t like reading about the facts and statements they already know. Such terms like an apple, sky, pencil are not the best topics for your definition essays. We highly encourage you to use more abstract terms. You should expand the knowledge of the readers, give them new information they can’t find in a regular dictionary.
Keep in mind that one of the most important steps is choosing a great topic. Now you know the answer to a popular question “what is a definition essay?” Therefore, it is time to learn how to write definition essays, how to plan the structure, and how to find the best topic for it.
Purpose and Function of a Definition Essay
This type of an essay serves to define some notion or term. It not only gives a definition, but also helps to solve the issue of controversy in case there exist several diverse definitions of the same notion. It makes the reader of the possible interpretations and approaches to the term. It also descibes its peculaties and possible contexts within which the term or notion can occur.
The difference between definition and definition essay is that it not only provides a definition but provides a full context of usage of the notion.
Definition Essay Structure: Outline, Introduction, Thesis, Body Paragraphs, and Conclusion.
Any piece of academic writing requires a proper structure. You should clearly define the dominant idea of your writing, lead the reader from the introduction to the conclusion of your definition paper. Let’s study more about each section of this type of academic writing and compare a definition essay to any other creative assignment.
How to Create Definition Essay Outline?
As is the case with any other creative assignment like a term paper, case study or narrative essay, this task can’t be written without a plan. It is a short draft of your writing that highlights some essential elements of the paper, explains its idea. Some teachers require the creation of the essay outline because it helps students write a top-notch article.
Definition essay includes the regular parts of any other academic writing:
- Thesis statement.
- Body paragraphs (its number depends on the term you are going to explain and the complexity of chosen subject).
Definition Essay Introduction
Keep in mind that before you embark on writing an informative and interesting introduction, you should make yourself familiar with a few rules. An introduction must include several essential elements. The first one is a conventional explanation of a primary term which you are going to describe. You should find it in the dictionary or on the web. If this term has a few meanings, you may pick the best ideas and add your personal view on the original word you are going to explain in your English definition essay.
At the beginning of the paper, you can mention something catchy and intriguing instead of the regular dictionary information. It can be a famous quotation, curious fact, surprising statistics, or a few shocking sentences regarding the topic (it depends on the effect you want to achieve). This section should be brief but informative.
Thesis Statement for a Definition Essay
This type of academic writing doesn’t have a regular thesis statement because a student shouldn’t prove any anything. If you want to write a good definition paper, you have to add a primary assertion of your work to the introduction. It is the last sentence of this section.
Definition Essay Body Parts
A student may create two, three or more body paragraphs. It depends on the complexity of the chosen subject and the demands of your English tutor to this assignment. The fundamental goal of a student who deals with definition essays is to provide all the required facts about the word. Explain a few meanings if necessary.
Another essential point is a broad investigation of the topic and understanding it. You have to provide enough information to uncover all the crucial facts about the word, explain its origin, history, etc. Definitions essays must be based on facts and provide the audience with a personal vision of the author. So, look through the sources, write a bibliography page and make sure that you have a deep understanding of the theme before you immerse yourself in writing.
To succeed with a definition essay body paragraph, you should follow some rules:
- A new idea is a new paragraph.
- If the word you’ve defined has more than one meaning, explain each of them.
- Use examples, provide various points of view to support the core information.
Never neglect a proofreading stage which allows a writer to eliminate all the mistakes and improve the grade. You should also create a detailed list of references. Always run your essays through plagiarism detection software to make sure it doesn’t comprise any elements of plagiarism. Double check the list of references and correct grammar or lexical mistakes. If you aren’t a creative writer or you feel like this task is beyond the scope of your abilities, you can contact our writers who are ready to help you with any written assignment. Can’t create a top-notch dissertation, persuasive essay or struggle with a bibliography page? Contact us immediately because our top-quality writing services are at your disposal!
Definition Essay Conclusion Tips
As with any other essay, this type of academic writing must have a proper conclusion. The primary aim of your work is to give the readers the complete definition of the exact term. The conclusion must summarize the information. Besides, it should be a shortened version of the paper. You may explain how the definition of the specific term or word influences your life. Readers love exciting facts from people’s experience and appreciate the sincere attitude.
How to Write a Definition Essay in Four StepsCreating a definition essay is not difficult if you know its pecularities and structure. It can be written in 4 steps.
- Choose the topic
- Introduce the notion and provide a definition
- Mention the peculiarities of the notions, contexts in which it occurs, and usage
- Conclude the essay by summarizing the main points.
Definition Essay Topics for Various Purposes
How to write a definition essay without an excellent topic that may grab the readers’ attention? It may be a troublesome task; you have to pick or think up a great topic for your definition paper. In this case, we highly encourage you to have a look at these useful tips.
- Don’t use general words that are clear and don’t have any hidden meaning.
- Your article or essay must be based on facts (a list of references must be added).
- Don’t pick terms that create debates because you aim to explain the concept of the particular word or expression, not over-persuade someone. You don’t deal with a persuasive essay. Your goals are to read a book, analyze the sources and inform the readers.
- Make a good analysis of different facts to pick the definition topic.
- Start beforehand to avoid any distractions and have enough time to choose the best term to define.
- Prefer topics that are familiar to you.
- Read an essay sample and make yourself familiar with the writing format.
You can choose the best sample from the list of the best topics for an excellent definition essay. Choose the category you love most of all, define the best term to explain in your work and start creating the top-quality academic paper which will be free from plagiarism.
Definition Essay on Love
If you want to write something about love, try our definition essay topics related to this area:
- The meaning of love for various people.
- Shakespeare wrote a lot of love sonnets. How does this writer define love in his sonnets?
- What is true love: key facts about this definition?
- What explanation does Tim Obrien give for the term love?
- Human’s freedom and love: what does it mean for us?
- Counseling and love: similar aspects of these terms.
- How do people explain love?
- Love in our everyday life, how do people show their love to others?
- The philosophy meaning of the term love.
- What is your favorite book about love?
Incredible Family Definition Essay Topics
Choose one sample from the list of excellent topics for a family definition essay which will help you create the top-notch academic paper.
- The ideal family according to American history.
- How did society change the meaning of the term family in the past years?
- Why is it difficult to give a single explanation for the term family?
- How family and responsibility are connected? Can we compare both terms?
- The importance of family in the modern world.
- What types of families are normal in our society?
- What are family values and how to develop them?
- How to spend the summer with your family?
- What is the institution of marriage? What factors can determine it?
- Who is a single parent? What problems does a single parent face in modern society?
Freedom Definition Essay
A proper topic is a huge step to writing an excellent definition essay. Have a look at our topics for a freedom definition essay and choose the best sample for yourself:
- Historical evolution of the term “freedom”.
- What does the term “freedom” mean for various cultures? Find a corresponding article, analyze it and provide the answer.
- Independence definition: why should you understand the meaning of this word?
- How does Eric Foner define the freedom in his Story of American Freedom?
- How does school define the term “freedom”?
- Is it possible to give a comprehensive explanation of freedom?
- How do people lose freedom; what does this mean for them?
- How does the gas valve steel our freedom? Define the key strategies of the country development.
- Why is freedom of speech crucial for modern society?
- What is religious freedom? Trace its evolution and base your writing on different articles.
Happiness Definition Essay
If you can’t decide on the best definition essay topic, try one of these exciting ideas:
- What is happiness for the majority of people?
- Why are the terms of money and happiness connected for some people?
- Person’s happiness and the factors that determine this feeling.
- What is pseudo happiness; why some people mix up true and pseudo happiness?
- What is a happy life, what factors define this term for people?
- The term “happiness” has a lot of definitions. Provide the audience with the best of them.
- What writer does prefer covering the topic of happiness?
- Happiness in our everyday life: how can you feel it?
- Philosophic meaning of the term happiness.
- Happiness and well-being, are these terms correlated?
Common Topics for Definition Essay
If you don’t have specific requirements for the topic niche, you may pick one of the common topics for writing a definition essay.
- Money and success. What do all these terms have in common?
- What is flirting online?
- What is graffiti? Define its variations and main styles. Why do some people call it art and see the stand out traits in such a painting activity?
- The primary definition of friendship. Why do some people have internal interconnection?
- What is rudeness: examples of the rude behavior women and men face almost every day in supermarkets, public transport and more.
- How some people define the term home?
- Who is an unsuccessful person? Do they really exist or this is just our autosuggestion?
- How to become a good person: the key traits of good people, what actions they do, how a good character influences our well-being.
- How does science influence our life?
- What is a successful career for the majority of people?
Definition Argument Essay Topics
These definition argument essay topics are related to various aspects and explain multiple spheres of our life.
- Reformation of the modern school system: the primary elements of such reorganization.
- Technology and education: the significant role of the innovations and new styles in the school system.
- Emails, chats, cell phones instead of face-to-face communication: is it good for society?
- The role of immigration in humans’ history.
- World peace: what factors may help to establish it?
- What is the cultural heritage? Why is it important for different generations and various countries of the world no matter how developed the country is?
- The pollution and health: are these terms correlated?
- What is recycling, and how people can improve this process?
- The influence of social media on children and adults, why some of them face some issues while using these online resources?
- What is nanotechnology? How to use it in the future? Base your article on trusted sources.
Extended Definition Essay Topics
If you need to explain several terms or concepts in your definition paper, you may consider extended definition essay topics from our list.
- Who is a team player, and how to identify this person among your colleagues?
- How to distinguish the moral act? The significant characteristics of this term.
- How to save privacy in the modern world when almost every action is controlled by different institutions and government?
- Optimism and pessimism: what is the difference, why some people prefer to brighten up some life situations?
- What is the leadership? How to become a leader in modern society?
- How to be a good parent; what skills should you develop in your children?
- Various addictions that people may face. Why does it happen?
- Capitalism and communism definition: the core difference between these terms? What services do they provide for society?
- What is laziness? Why are some people lazy?
- Religion definition: its influence in different countries.
Definition Essay Topics for College
Choose one of these definition essay topics for college and complete this writing task without extra efforts.
- What is project management? Create a complete explanation of this term.
- Excellent shopping experience for various people: what does this mean?
- American Dream explanation: the evolution of this term, historical facts that explain its core characteristics.
- The meaning of marriage in different cultures.
- What does the respect mean for people, how can you show that you respect someone?
- How can you see that the person is a hero and what personal characteristics prove that someone is a hero?
- What is depression? What facts about this term should you know?
- Modern technologies for education. How do they improve students’ knowledge?
- Successful career: basic components that determine this term for people in various countries.
- Time management in modern life. What does it mean for the majority of people?
The entire idea of our guide is to explain the core difference of a definition essay from other academic papers, show how to write a definition essay, what writing style and format to choose and provide our readers with the list of comprehensive essay topics. Practice makes perfect, and you will level up your writing skills with time. Just believe in yourself!
You may use our tips to improve your writing and get better grades, in case you have some difficulties with this task, you may find the professional assistant here. Our team of seasoned specialists is ready to help you tackle that challenge and create a top-notch essay from scratch. Besides, we can also help with dissertation, coursework, bibliography writing or any other tasks which you can’t do (because of any reason whatsoever). If you can’t create an engaging title, cover the topic or your writing skills are far from perfect, welcome to our services!
Require academic assistance? – Get it right here! Contact our support team right now!