Let’s cut the chase. Your teacher asked you to write a specific homework assignment known as an informative essay, and you are lucky if you have particular informative essay topics.
Those students who are not given a specific problem to cover should think about choosing an interesting idea on their own. It means in-depth, time-consuming researches and sleepless nights. If you keep staring at the window, it means this article on writing an informative essay and choosing its topic will be helpful.
Students with any questions left after reading this useful post, turn to the professional online writing service full of qualified writers ready to help at any time!
Informative Essay: Definition & Purposes
An informative essay is an academic paper written at high school/college level, which aims to inform the target audience about the particular object, person, event, or phenomenon. The main purpose is to respond to the main question through explaining the topic in details. Imagine the readers know nothing/a little about the offered informative essay topics. In case many professional terms that can help to explain the topic deeper are available, use them, but provide meaningful explanations. Example: When writing about marketing to inform the audience of students who have no idea of running a business, try to express the main ideas with the help of special words such as brainstorming, A/B testing, target audience, customer research, copywriting, etc. Give professional definitions. It would be helpful to explain some words using specific examples.
It is time to discuss how to write an informative essay based on 2 scenarios: the one in which a student knows the topic and another one when a student should choose the informative essay topics on his own.
How to Write an Informative Essay: Expert Opinion
Every good student needs to understand how to write an informative essay. Then, it will be simpler to compose other similar types of academic papers (process essay, cause-&-effect paper, problem/solution, and compare-&-contrast essay). Start exploring the process of writing form the outline recommendations.
Informative Essay Outline
An informative essay outline looks pretty much the same to most of the academic essays. It has an introduction, 3 body paragraphs, and conclusion. Do not forget to include a full list of references! The topic predetermines the number of body paragraphs. If the topic does not have many aspects like the process of hiring a registered nurse in the local hospital, 3 paragraphs would be enough. In conclusion, remind the reader of the main problem. Instead of providing a thesis statement in the shape of argument, the author should stress the importance of researching the problem.
Example: Pretend that the topic of the informative essay is the efficiency of various food supplements in the treatment of cancer.
The outline may look this way:
- Origins & history of the research. Explain the root of the problem focusing on the methods people tried to treat cancer or the way supplements were introduced (depending on the focus of essay).
- Process. Describe the ways doctors detect which food supplements will help the patients and how some of the popular food supplements work.
- Benefits. Talk about the advantages of taking food supplements on the example of success stories from real life (if you share your own, the essay will sound more persuasive and interesting).
How Should Students Choose the Best Informative Essay Topics?
Us these tips to pick the best ideas to include in the homework assignment of this type.
- Never select a broad topic like love or respect. A narrow topic such as the worst place to sit in the office will be a bad choice too – try to achieve a happy medium by selecting, for example, an informative essay on the victories of Alexander or ways to cook Italian dishes.
- Avoid topics you have no interest or competence – the author should sound professional and experienced when explaining how to do things/what they mean.
- Engage the audience by checking whether the potential topic is relevant in your society.
- Go through the assignment guidelines and informative essay examples before getting started. Even if a student is an expert in the selected field, he/she may still need to conduct in-depth research to discover the ways to cite and reference sources in academic writing (read more about MLA).
As for the informative essay example, read the part of a sample to have an overall idea of how a paper of this type looks.
“One more critical thing is watching a vocabulary. Before writing, make a list of terms associated with the chosen topic. Check the meaning of every professional term not to get trapped in the middle of the writing process. Coherency is what a student should get in the end: if the text is complex to understand, such informative essay cannot be considered a success.”
Angie Strawberry, business English teacher & academic writer at WriteMyEssay4Me.
Mind the possible college essay mistakes before writing.
Informative Essay Examples of Topics for College Students
After contacting many excellence students from various colleges, our experts have gathered some of the best informative essay topics to let you choose the idea.
- Gun control. Explain what the term is about, why this policy is implemented in many regions of the world, its effectiveness, and consequences of gun control.
- Legalization of marijuana. Explain what marijuana is, how it affects human body/mind, stress both pros and cons of using this drug, and provide some medical forecasts for the future.
- Filthy language. The roots of the filthy language, reasons people use many filthy words nowadays, the linguistic value of the filthy words, examples, and meaning of some words of this type.
- The origin of the universe. A student can share all possible theories regarding the birth of the universe and our planet in particular.
- The causes of addiction. Discuss several types of addictions, explain what it is, provide some reasons people become addicted to something, share ideas on how to handle the problem.
- Prostitution. Raise a moral issue like this not just to explain the origins of the phenomenon, but provide the existing pros & cons of prostitution.
- e-Commerce. Explain the main difference from the traditional commerce, list the main features, provide some forecasts for future development, etc.
Is this list insufficient? To discover more brilliant ideas and even implement them, contact a professional writing team, which is ready to face any challenge related to academic homework.