Writing an essay conclusion may seem an obvious and easy step in the entire essay writing task. But sometimes, it may take more efforts than you expect. That is why you need to get proper essay conclusion examples to get the main point of this task. In this article, we will tell you more about the art and the main rules of writing conclusions and provide you with the most reliable examples.
How to Write a Conclusion for an Essay
Conclusion is not just a simple summary of ideas and arguments you have provided in your main part of the essay. This is your last word as well as the most important information to your reader, and it should be striking and convincing.
Consider making it brief and informative with all the important points highlighted. The main idea of any piece of academic writing should not change through the whole paper. You can use some of the most helpful patterns of essay conclusion examples shown below:
- List points from the most useful to the less valuable ones;
- Apply the same logic as was used in the whole essay to restate your thesis;
- Conclusion can end with a question, leaving the reader food for thought.
In your essay conclusion, you need to get your classification and analysis skill to the highest level. If you were listing some points in your essay body, you need to simply summarize them in your essay conclusion in the most effective way and meaningful words. You should offer your reader the final comment about the entire topic or a problem you have been discussing. So, what is the conclusion of an essay and what is its purpose?
- The conclusion is the impression you leave to your reader;
- It is the ending strike of your essay;
- It is the action of accomplishing of your promises;
- It should prove your thesis;
- It should provide your reader with the sense of completed task.
What is the Conclusion of an Essay
Structure of your essay conclusion should be less complicated and most powerful with informative sentences, clearly expressed ideas and thougts as well as appropriate language. It can be divided into several parts:
- Restate thesis statement;
- Get the main idea from the first paragraph of your essay body;
- Get the main idea from the second paragraph of your essay body;
- Get the main idea from the third paragraph of your essay body;
- Conclude all your main thoughts. Answer the most valuable questions of your paper.
Please note that the number of sentences in an essay conclusion depends on the number of paragraphs in your body part. You also need to learn where and how to start a conclusion for an essay. It should go after your essay’s body paragraphs.
- Your conclusion sentence for essays should be opposite to the Introduction sentences;
- Your essay should begin with something general, and your conclusion ends with something specific.
What Should I Include in the Conclusion Part?
As any part of an essay, conclusion has some components that actually make it a conclusion. It should include:
- At least 3-4 sentences to summarize main points, restate thesis, and express final thoughts
- Summary of the main points of the paper. Do not just retell or copy-paste them; analyze and summarize
- Restated thesis statement
- Bring together all your arguments and ideas to show the importnance of the topic
- Answer to the So what? question
- Express your final summarizing thoughts
- Give a reader food for thought.
What to Avoid in Conclusion
There are some things that you should not include in the concluding part to make your paper logical.
- Make a 1-sentence conclusion
- Repeat ideas or copy-paste sentences from the paper
- Just retell the whole paper insted of summarizing it
- Start a paragraph with phrases to sum up, to conclude, in conclusion, in summary, to summarize
- Introduces new ideas, statistics, or in-text citations (it all should be presented in the main body)
- Facts or comments that undermine the ideas or arguments you have provided in the intoruction or main body.
Essay Conclusion Outline
As any other paragraph, conclusion should be balanced. It should consist of at least three sentences to include topic sentence, controlling and supporting ideas, and conclusing sentence.
Check out the typical conclusion outline.
- Topic sentence that restates thesis statement
- Supporting idea that sums up the main points of the paper
- Controlling idea that brings together the core ideas and facts and demonstrates the relevance of the topic
- Concluding sentence that summarizes the whole paper and answers the So what? quesion.
Essay Conclusion Examples
In this part, we will study and discuss some ideas and features of the most popular essay conclusion examples.
Let’s learn how to write a conclusion for an essay from scratch. Writing narrative essay conclusion may differ drastically from an analysis essay conclusion. Some people prefer reading conclusions even before reading the entire paper. It is because they want to know the brief story of your academic writing. Here are some...
Let’s start with argumentative essay conclusion example.
- Hunger Games series characters analysis
The best way to compare compassion between Hunger Games characters is to start with Prim. The most epic character who keeps other people’s secrets and helps strangers. But, the greatest action of Prim, is about saving children.
- The start of Civil War
We all can have different thoughts about the importance of the Civil War in America. But our thoughts don’t change the facts that lead to the war started. Slavery was one of the most obvious ones. Then the election of Lincoln as the president also played its role. Till these days we can see the difference between South and East which came from the past.
- Social media influence on youth
Social media helps people connect with each other through time and space, share thoughts and impressions, congratulate on various occasions support each other when needed. That caused a massive globalization process and affected people from all over the world. And now it is time to limit the negative influence of Facebook and take responsibility for future generations.
For persuasive essay conclusion, you need to use the same method and structure as to other essay types.
- Restate the thesis;
- Restate your two main reasons;
- Write a strong call to action.
You are not supposed to restate the entire thesis that was presented in the Introduction. Just state your position one more time, and that would be enough. You don’t need to prove that you are correct just state that in your persuasive paper.
Let’s describe an analytical essay conclusion example on the topic of Coco Chanel influence on women and modern society.
In her own way, Coco was the liberator of women rights and style. She has decided to free women not just from tight medieval corsets but also from limits in society. Mental barriers were not crushed immediately, but Coco gave the start. While women all over the world were waiting to see the sign to start the revolution, they have got the perfectly fitting outfit to begin their fight.
The conclusion in analysis essay would be the same as in the analytical one. You also need to restate the thesis and bring your main idea to the stage.
While the WWII was on its highest peak, the humanity was slowly sledging to an end. The main reason why we are still here is that the human nature is still more about struggling for life than destroying it. It is well displayed in the book. Its main characters are shown from both sides. You are damaging your future you are building something absolutely new.
How to Write a Conclusion for an Expository Essay
If you want to learn how to write a conclusion for an expository essay, you also need to focus on your main idea and thesis statement. Take your introduction and use it to make a perfect ending for the entire paper.
While one group of Americans think that Columbus Day should be celebrated as the victory of human courage and the great opening of America, other think that it is also a perfect day to remember millions of native Americans who were killed and who’s civilization were destroyed. But one thing is very clear and sure. Columbus played a major role in modern America’s history and world history in all aspects.
Speaking of narrative essays, you need to keep in mind that you are telling a story. There are no facts and nothing to the state. You just need to tell about some certain time frame and the actions that happened with your characters. This final part would be different from a classic essay conclusion we all got used to.
At the moment I and Christy went back home we saw a big brown wolf laying in our granny’s bed. It was not a nightmare or something like that, and the wolf didn’t eat our granny alive. It was her new buddy she picked up from the street. At this very moment, we were preparing to run she came into the house and calmed us down. It is always good not to hurry up with your decisions even if the situation seems obvious to you.
English essay conclusion example might seem the toughest one of all. But you need to understand that in most cases the conclusion you need to make is already written by the author and lays just on the surface. Just read the book carefully to get to the main idea.
Orwell wanted to portray his characters to make them like real. He even tried to get some features of real people and even historical characters such as Stalin. And Orwell portrays Napoleon he shows that the power he held damaged him absolutely. And our thing is to argue if Napoleon was corrupted and damaged from the very start. To capture reality, the author used special effects that may seem too hard for the unprepared reader. And even seem to be a fiction.
What we have in your conclusion is that the main goal is to keep all your essay parts in the same stream. Each your part depends on the other. Conclusion, in this case, is your tool to show your knowledge of the topic and make the last impression on your audience. Of course, there are some special services that can help you out with this task. Just keep in mind to make everything clear and from the bottom of your heart. Do not try to reach new dimensions in your papers. Instead, make your previous statements sound even more solid in the end.