“Tommy made fun of me, so I nicked his eye with a stick.” – It’s a typical example of diction – one of the literary terms, which refers to a writer’s choice of word. Writing an essay is always about choosing the correct words. Perhaps, immersion is the most effective way to learn a second language or complete filling the vocabulary of native English (many people know just 70% of their native language). The article contains an impressive literary terms list, which makes it possible to turn a regular, boring writing process in a lot of fun for both writers and readers.
The more you read, the more you learn about the world around and successful writing in particular. If you want to enrich your baggage of skills and knowledge with the powerful writing techniques, we would advise a professional team of writers ready to complete any sort of homework assignment within the specified time!
Literary Terms List: 7 Devices to Enrich Your Writing!
The language of literary analysis is a tough art to master. It is hard to understand the way they work without having several good examples. This article contains a brief literary terms dictionary to help young writers and students make their stories more interesting and breathtaking!
Off we go, it makes sense to define what literary terms mean. Each time a writer decides to come up with the new story, he/she does not plan just to describe what happened in details. Different literature devices help to enrich the text. They add the texture, tone, dynamics, and excitement. These factors assist in grabbing the reader’s attention like powerful hook sentences do at the beginning of each essay. These narrative techniques also help to convey information.
We will name the literary terms list in the alphabetical order to make it easier to follow.
Those writers who prefer creating poems should be aware of the allusion – poetry makes allusion more powerful, and vice versa. It is a word/phrase created to recall something in the reader’s mind. The author cannot name the object; he gives a hint. Such method of calling particular things to mind can be noticed in many pieces of poetry and Holy Bible. The technique is effective if you want to add context/depth to the story.
- An example is from the New Testament where the writer refers to Lazarus who used to resurrect thanks to his faith: “Night after night our hero lay in bed with the flu, hacking mucus and blood and seeing behind his eyelids the angels or devils come to collect him. But one morning, like Lazarus, he was whole again…”
In case the author wants to reflect large and abstract ideas, an allegory is the best method. The main purpose of adding it to the story is to teach a certain lesson.
- To make a good example, it is important to recall George Orwell’s writing in the shape of a famous novel Animal Farm, which is full of political literary devices, allegories. The main plot describes a typical barnyard as the location. These settings reflect the Communist party in Russia (1917-1943); to understand Orwell, it is critical to know the Russian political history.
An apostrophe literary term is not what people consider the punctuation mark. Another meaning is the literacy tool used when the author refers to the individual who is gone or not in place or the object that never existed. Fiction, poetry, and music are three most popular areas of approach.
- To explain this element from the literary terms list, Shakespeare steps in with his famous story about tragic love, Romeo & Juliet. Remember Juliet saying, ''O, Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?'' in Act II Scene II? The reader knows Romeo is hiding in Juliet’s yard. He is listening to her words, but the girl has no idea, thinking she is alone at night.
Our literary terms list includes an epigraph, which stands for the specific quotation from the work of another author under the essay’s title (quotations appear in italics).
Most of the examples are the works of poetry and some famous essays.
- People who have read T S Eliot's fabulous poem The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock may have noticed a reference to the world-known Dante's Inferno in the following lines:
If I but thought that my response were made
to one perhaps returning to the world,
this tongue of flame would cease to flicker.
How can you cite the poems correctly using any writing style/format?
The reader may lose interest in reading unless he obtains some hints from the author. The writer should be careful with the given tools; he/she is not supposed to open the secret of story’s ending by providing minor hints.
- Train to use foreshadowing by reading the numerous essays of Ernest Hemingway. Before his main character dies during the rain in A Farewell to Arms, the popular writer describes a scene with the hero mentioning he is scared off by the rain for the reason of seeing her death.
A list of literacy terms cannot be complete without a metaphor – a popular technique used to compare & contrast two or more objects directly.
- Let’s return to the works of William Shakespeare. Romeo tells, “But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.” Juliet appears as the main source of light on Earth instead of being recalled as a regular woman.
In case you wish to sound like William Shakespeare or another famous world’s author, purchase a professional essay or story from the academic writing service online.
A literary terms dictionary should have a simile on the list. It exists to compare & contrast different objects, characters, traits/features, or events with the help of certain words (e.g., “like” or “as”). It is not a direct comparison; do not confuse it with the metaphor.
- If you need a humorous example of a simile, look at A Christmas Carol – a story about the greedy man, written by Charles Dickens. He mentioned,“Old Marley was as dead as a doornail.”
Read about other famous American writers who applied different literacy tools!
Both students and professional authors would benefit from using the literacy devices dictionary. We hope that this literary terms list made it possible to learn more helpful writing techniques to improve your essays and short stories. If you want an expert to enrich your writing with various literacy tools, do not hesitate to buy a custom academic help from the market leaders!