- 120 Unique Argumentative Essay Topics (Upd 2021)
- What Makes a Good Argumentative Essay Topic?
- How to Choose an Interesting Argumentative Essay Topic
- 120 Good Argumentative Essay Topics
- For Middle School
- For High School
- For College
- Topics 2021
- Easy Topics
- Controversial Topics
- Social Media
- Health-Related Issues
- Social Issues
- Tips for Creating an Effective Argumentative Essay
- Bottom Line
“Do standardized tests objectively evaluate students’ skills or not?” This is how a good argumentative paper topic may sound.
An argumentative essay is typical academic writing. Its purpose is to make an argument. You should present two sides of the question, backing up your points with examples and evidence. You might think that it is the toughest task. Finding valid information to support your ideas is difficult. But, it might be useless if you fail to pick a pertinent subject. It is a challenging task to write an argumentative essay on a poor topic. Also, if it's not interesting, irrelevant, or primitive, no one will want to read it.
- What makes a strong argumentative topic?
- How to choose an interesting topic that will engage the reader?
- What are some good argumentative essay topic ideas?
If you’re looking for answers to these questions, you are in the right place. In the article, you will learn how to select topics that will spark the reader’s interest. You will understand how to present your arguments to win over the audience. Also, you will be able to choose an idea for your paper from the list of ready-to-use topics.
What Makes a Good Argumentative Essay Topic?
They say essay topics should be interesting. The professor warns you that that argumentative essay topic should be debatable. You type in Google, “ what are some good topics for an argumentative paper?” An argumentative topic is an issue that is debatable. It means that people have opposing views regarding that question. However, do you understand what does “a good argument topic” mean? To choose a really interesting one, you should have some criteria to distinguish a pertinent topic from a poor one.
Here are some features of an engaging argumentative paper topic:
- Interesting for you. The first point is surely your interest in the topic. If you like what you write about, you will be more curious to find more details. You will also be eager to share this information with others. Otherwise, you might lack the desire to start writing at all. What is more, you might get bored in the middle of your research. In such a case, the writing process will take much longer. It is also highly likely that you won’t be satisfied with your paper. Thus, choose a topic you have interest in. At least some general interest.
- Relevant. Another feature of an effective argumentative essay topic is relevance. Always consider the course you are writing for. For example, if you need to prepare an argumentative essay or speech for your English class, a paper on the physical properties of soil is highly likely to be inappropriate. Even if it’s your passion, stay prudent. Choose the topic considering the class, audience, and the instructions given. If you hesitate regarding your argumentative essay topic, you may always clarify the question with your professor.
- Current. Thousands of things happen in every sphere of our life every day. Thus, there are countless ideas for discussion. It is always more interesting to read about current issues, those you have your own opinion about. Papers on some historical topics might seem boring. Think of the recent events, what people talk about, consider your current interests. 2020 was eventful. There were numerous political events, movements, and global issues. Think of trends and milestones of the year. Some of them will make great argumentative essay topics.
- Debatable. By definition, you should make an argument in your argumentative paper. It means there should be at least two opinions on the topic. Such papers should contain analysis and criticism. Avoid issues that are a common truth. You will waste your time on writing. At some point, you will understand that a new topic is needed. Think whether the issue you are going to discuss is debatable enough before you start writing.
- Well-researched. In persuasive writing, an author is trying to convince the audience with arguments that can be backed up by their ideas, feelings, or understanding. By contrast, in an argumentative essay, you should support your claims with examples and facts. Make sure the topic you have chosen is well-researched.
- Contradictory. Controversial issues are the most obvious and fit option for argumentative essay topics. These are things people have opposing opinions on. Controversial issues are those that provoke a debate. Thus, you will have a multitude of arguments to choose from. But, it is recommended to avoid controversial moral issues. They are mostly based on personal opinion and lack facts for support. Such topics are more fit for persuasive speeches. Give preference to controversial social issues.
- Focused on one issue. Another important point to follow is focusing on one issue. Sometimes, the topic is too broad to cover in one paper. In such a case, discuss only one aspect of the chosen question. If you try to focus on all the aspects at a time, you will cover none properly. Thus, make sure there is only one main idea in your paper.
How to Choose an Interesting Argumentative Essay Topic
When it comes to writing an argumentative paper, students are often assigned a topic by a teacher. For some, it’s a good option, while others might feel stressed. It is difficult to write about ideas you do not support or understand. If the professor has granted you a chance to pick an argumentative essay topic by yourself, you are lucky! Use the opportunity to come up with a really interesting argument topic.
Consider these easy but useful tips.
- Brainstorm and write down all the ideas that come to your mind. Think of the recent events or issues. Consider topics covered in class.
- Narrow down the list. Look through your list of ideas and leave only those that seem the most interesting.
- Research the topic. It is necessary to make sure that the topic is well-researched and that you will have what to write about.
- Select the type of your argument claim. There are five main types. Choose the perspective of your essay.
- Formulate a thesis statement. It is the main idea of the paper. Draft it to choose the direction of your paper. Make sure it is clear, concise, debatable, and original. "hevdbcijwnck"
- Create an outline. It is done to make sure you know and have what to write about. Just cover the main points.
120 Good Argumentative Essay Topics
Check the list of unique argumentative essay topics that will be fit for both your essay and a speech. The majority of the issues mentioned in it are rather controversial. That is one of the main points in argumentative essays. The questions discussed should be debatable enough to engage the readers or the audience. Just select the topic and start doing research to provide the most solid arguments.
For Middle School
- How can children be effectively punished?
- What age is appropriate to start dating?
- Should some music be banned due to the violent lyrics?
- Is bullying and cyberbullying the same thing?
- What is the safest kind of sport?
- Should students be given the right to evaluate and critique their teachers?
- What is the positive effect of students wearing school uniforms?
- Does classical music help concentrate and study?
- Why girls prefer romantic movies.
- Dangers of making friends online.
For High School
- Is homeschooling effective?
- Is there a difference in the quality of education in public and private schools?
- Should junk food be prohibited in schools?
- What is the country with the most effective education system?
- What are the advantages of attending a single-sex school?
- Can graffiti be viewed as art, or is it vandalism?
- What type of social activity should be legally punished?
- What are the effective ways to prevent bullying?
- Is China a genuine superpower?
- Should social media be banned in schools?
- What should be changed in the current taxation system?
- Is college admission getting too challenging?
- Are test scores the most accurate indication of individual competency?
- What are the causes of the increased number of teenage mothers?
- Are there effective ways to prevent teenage pregnancy?
- Should college students be allowed to learn only those subjects they choose?
- Do tests and exams help evaluate students' knowledge?
- The importance of financial and sex education at school
- What are the most common causes of stress among college students?
- Does traditional and online education provide students with the same quality of knowledge?
- The effects of Coronavirus on the global economy
- COVID-19 has pushed the world toward going online
- Does a glass ceiling still exist in 2021?
- Is Cancel culture justified?
- The causes of the US-Iran conflict 2021
- Was the 2021 US Presidential election fair?
- Global lockdown as one of the main reasons for rising divorce rates
- Was 2021 beneficial for anyone?
- Mass riots caused by a lockdown
- Positive and negative outcomes of the Trump presidency
- Does homework help improve knowledge?
- Overpopulation in big cities as the main cause of environmental pollution?
- Is art a profession?
- What is the true meaning of "love"?
- Was Shakespeare a real person?
- Should students take a gap year before entering college?
- Does gender matter in military service?
- Should college education be free for everyone?
- Role of Instagram in the way teenagers perceive life
- Reasons behind the popularity of TikTok
- Is the US election process fair?
- Should animals be used in experiments/testing?
- Is the death penalty effective?
- Do religious movements cause war?
- The politics of the British government
- Celebrities tend to fail their political careers
- The system is too much corrupted today
- Politics is everywhere and always a "dirty" game
- Trump could be a better US President
- Positive and negative outcomes of feminism
- Critical factors of quickly modifying consumer behavior
- Why teenagers are craving for followers and likes on Instagram and TikTok
- What is the best alternative to Twitter?
- Do people really find a job through an effective LinkedIn Profile?
- Should the government be given access to private social network profiles?
- Idealized body image on social media as one of the main causes of stress among teenagers
- Why do people become haters on Instagram?
- Is social media an objective source of information
- Are popular online activists too shy in real life?
- Is it easy to earn money on YouTube?
- To what extent does the legacy of slavery affects African-Americans today
- Has the Civil Rights Movement brought only positive changes to society?
- Slavery as the main cause of Civil War
- Is the Vietnam War justified?
- “I have a dream” by Martin Luther King as a speech that has changed the course of history
- Women’s suffrage movement as the first step towards protecting the rights of women
- The Holocaust tragedy as the tragic event of the nations that has impacted the whole world
- Could the United States have remained neutral in World War II?
- Boston Tea Party as an attempt to protect human rights
- The main causes and positive outcomes of the French Revolution
- Are spy applications for mobile phones an invasion of privacy?
- Are modern young people too dependent on gadgets?
- Which of the rumors about 5G are justified?
- Is any online lottery fair?
- Are modern teens too reliant on Information Technologies?
- Is the usage of 3D printing in medicine ethical?
- Will AI ever replace human labor?
- Technologies make people lazy and less smart
- Can corporations create chips to control their employees' minds?
- Information aging as an acute modern issue
- Are violent video games that dangerous?
- Does participation in sports keep teens out of trouble?
- Is competition the best way to prove your competence?
- Does sport bring positive changes to child behavior?
- Is cheating in sports games out of control?
- What is the most dangerous kind of sport?
- Is swimming the only activity which trains every group of muscles?
- Are there any legal alternatives to steroids?
- Does cheerleading fit in all games?
- Which type of sports is meant only for the wealthiest?
- Should governments provide free basic insurance to the residents?
- Is fast food really the main cause of increased obesity rates?
- Do curfews really keep adolescents out of trouble?
- Are gay couples under the threat of HIV more than straight pairs?
- Can technological devices cause cancer?
- How much water should we drink per day?
- Is vegetarianism really healthy?
- Hospital versus self-treatment
- Should doctor-assisted suicide be made legal?
- Is it ethical for doctors to promote medicine?
- Is torture or rape ever acceptable?
- Should sexual maniacs be sentenced to death?
- Should male employees be allowed to get paternity leave?
- Does age matter in relationships?
- Reasons for increased rates of the homeless in the US
- Are there effective ways to treat naughty teens
- What is the right punishment for failed parenting?
- What are the causes of Down's syndrome?
- Can we treat abortion as a crime?
- Effect of social media on people
Tips for Creating an Effective Argumentative Essay
If you have already selected the topic that fits you the most, the next step is writing. Follow these simple but helpful tips to make sure your essay stands out.
- Research the question to make sure you will be able to provide enough evidence.
- Create an original topic or give a fresh opinion on the existing one.
- Keep to classical essay structure (an introduction, main body, and conclusion).
- Start with a hook to catch the reader’s attention.
- Avoid pronoun “I” in an argumentative essay.
- Try to sound as unbiased as possible.
- Stay focused. Make sure you cover only one main issue in your paper.
- Support your arguments with evidence and examples.
- Include a counterargument to demonstrate you understand the opposing opinion
- Do not forget to restate your thesis statement and summarize the pain points.
With the above list of argumentative essay topics and tips from professionals, you’ll be able to create an effective essay. Just make sure your topic is pertinent and that you follow the criteria of argumentative writing. What to do if you want to get a quality paper but are afraid to fail the task? Just ask “write my paper,” and professional writers will have you covered. The topic will be chosen following your recommendations and paper written fast.